Wednesday 9 May 2012

K can Pop, so can U?

I grew up rubbernecking at awkward boy bands with Backstreet Boys obviously topping my chart, amongst NSYNC, Westlife, 911 and all that league of extraordinary gentleboys.
Duncha' think they WERE HOT ? 
Let’s face it. Songs were so sentimental, quixotic and evocative back then – whatever happened to all that treble cleft oldies that were definitely, GOODIES? Tunefully, the music industry (well at least in Singapore) has regressed (or progressed, to some) into a J/K Pop concord buoyed by madcap obsessive fanatics who’d give up almost everything (their studies, or even having to save up by starving for a month), just to be part of their J/K Pop stars’ concerts.
Simi lai eh?

I find that quite absurd.

Don’t get me wrong though, I’m not slamming J/K Pop, but really, how many fans really understand the translations…oh wait, lyrics are secondary, what am I saying, right?

I’ve been youtubing quite a bit during my free time and I have to admit that I’m stumped by how many plastically perfect Asian pop stars we’ve groomed in Asia – from that single eyelid, tiny featured Asian emblematic, to that picture-perfect doll eyed fair skinned man/ woman standing at 180cm, sporting a harsh hazel crown of glory, topped off with a sharp and raised nose bridge. Don’t get me wrong, Asians are gorgeously perfect in my eyes, but c’mon, some just get too carried away that they forgot they were beautiful in the first place! Who’d believe Korean pop stars were that perfectly complete before going under the knife and all that jazz.
..when it naturally becomes OK for K Pop stars to do such stuff...
2ne1, vehh nice w all that eyeliner

Funny that most song titles are just plain weird, like:

  • Chocolate
  • Snowy Wish
  • Like a Virgin
  • I'm the Best
(o_o)



I’m really proud that Asians are actually starting to create a stimulus and break out of that stereotypical thinking that our Western counterparts are much better than us in every way – bull!

However, I’m quite sure we’d be ridiculed at how we still fail to embrace us, being Asians, yet wanting to look, sound and be like the Westerners. Hmm.. maybe its a good form of bonding multi-racially??

Wait a minute. It’s a realistic world where you’d fail if you don’t look up to standard, right?

 I do not own any of the above images, BTW.

No comments:

Post a Comment