Wednesday 11 January 2012

Bubble Trouble!

4 glasses of caloric killer!
I’ve never fancied bubble teas for health reasons – they’re cloyingly saccharine and is packed with artery-clogging ingredients that are a definite no-no to your bodies! Milk teas are calorie-dense but I tend to agree that they offer instantaneous sugar rush when you’re feeling bushed on certain days. However, sugar makes you fatigued because of the surge in insulin (office ladies, better control your Gong Cha and mad Koi cravings!)
Even manga over here is a health slave to pearls
I’m very selective when it comes to food (to all the people whom I’ve dined with, I’m sorry if I’ve made your lives pretty taxing when it comes to meal times!), but occasional indulgences are not a complete nonstarter for me. I used to fancy red tea from Each-A-Cup during my pregnancy, only because they’ve got an option to choose your sugar percentile (oh yes, most shops offer that now), and they’ve got my favourite Kanten jelly – those colourful strips of coconut jelly, unlike nata de coco.
... Oh thank God i don't!


Here’s a heads-up if you’re an avid bubble tea fan! Each pearl contains approximately 14 calories, and each cup of bubble tea might hold as many as 20 – 30 pearls. Do the math and it’ll equate 280 – 420kcal on pearls alone! Just imagine, this figure doesn’t even include the calorie count of sweetened milk tea/ tea itself!

Even blondie knows that pearls are a no go!
To put the number in perspective, a 5 year old only requires 1,500 calories a day and by consuming pearls alone can fulfil your child’s caloric requirement for the day. How freaky is this?

Plasticized tapioca pearls, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment