Thursday 19 January 2012

Happy Baby = Happy Mummies = Happier Daddies

I retell the tale of a pre-pregnancy fable that equates to delivering happy babies! I do confess (and I do this fulsomely), that as luck would have it, I’VE GOT A HAPPY BABY!
Doing what she does best
Of course, happy babies still do bellow, wail and protest as would any other babies. The difference in that is, in my decree, happy babies smile at blank walls; happy babies smile at scary faces; happy babies smile at ceiling fans; happy babies smile at motion graphic on telly; happy babies squeal and shriek after they’ve pooped; happy babies … just make you feel awesomely happy too!
Sheer smile at 4 days old
There are times in which my girl yowls for no apparent reason (I’m assuming she may have been distressed by something she had seen/ heard/ felt) earlier, and it’s only during those times when I just feel dejected at not being able to appease and pacify her. There was once, I threw in the towel and needed to find an escape route for both my throbbing arms and sore ears. I gently laid my exasperated and shrieking girl in her cot. Instantaneously, my girl looked up at me with beady eyes and arrested her yelps. Before I could pick her up again, she gave me the widest, cheekiest smile and started babbling at me. That’s my higgledy-piggledy, albeit happy, girl.
While entertaining me on the bed
Honestly, have you not felt that your world has been rehabilitated after your wailing baby smiles back at you? Because I have and that feels terrifically euphoric!

Just this morning, I got a text from my tremendously rapt and fascinated sister. She said to me that she stole glances at my girl who was in her cot this morning and caught my girl smiling widely like a Cheshire cat, blankly. When she managed to get my girl’s attention, my girl started squealing in delight, smiling from ear to ear (as crazy as her mummy!). Because we always play “yi chiang” with my girl (motion of us grabbing my girl’s arms and allowing her to push herself to sit up), my sis thought she’d play “yi chiang” with my girl before she left for work this morning. As anticipated, not only was my girl amused, smiling and being oh-so-over-the-moon, my sister was, unsurprisingly, equally excited. At the end of the mini exercise, my sis laid my girl back on her back without attempting to carry her at all. Instantaneously, my girl stared brutally at her, wiping her wide grin off her face. She didn’t cry, though. Oh, Lord please bless me with an ingenious kid!
My smiley girl at 5 days.
In my books, my girl is one of the happiest babies I’ve seen (not just because she’s mine), and I thank heavens for that!
Happy babies make for Happy friends!
Well, many people do undergo pre-natal blues and all that depression crap that comes along. Mercifully, I only suffered from that nonsense after giving birth. There are certain rules in rewarding your 9-month toil with a happy baby.

  •          Stay happy. It sure is hard to do when you’re swelling in the belly with every progressive week, but being happy releases endorphins that will be passed on to your baby, so in order to recompense yourself, you MUST try to stay happy.
  •       Exercise. Exercising releases endorphins (a happy compound) that will ultimately yield a happier   baby!


Walking with your dog is a good form of exercise!

  • Chocolates! Dark chocolates are almost a MUST HAVE through the course of my pregnancy. Do not opt for milk chocolates (Mars/ Snickers/ Milky Bar etc) as they are coated with high amounts of sugars. Opt for dark chocolates (you can get a good bar of smooth and well-blended dark chocolate from Ikea, which is also extremely cost effective!)
Choose only the darkest chocolates!
OOther than the above, it is imperative that you stay optimistic and chuck all your worries aside!

Remember to throw this expression aside!

No comments:

Post a Comment