Thursday 12 January 2012

Yummy Mummy

You're still sexy when you're pregnant!

1980's maternity dresses are passé and orthodox – who wears them these days? I’d have to say that although some are quite groovy, they’re usually tagged at quite outrageous rates.

When I was expecting, I still felt good about my body and wasn’t shy about my extra tummy bulk. In fact, I didn’t have to suck in my belly at all! I was blessed with a compact bulge so I didn’t really need to visit the maternity racks – such a money saver!
Left: Satin Maxi Dress from Chinatown; Centre: Black formal dress from Far East; Right: Cotton Top
If you’re as conscious about how you look like I constantly am, you might want to stock up on cotton blouses / dresses instead of body-contouring ones. Maxi dresses work fine too! As for me, my preferred shop for good “maternity-top” hunting was at Cotton On. I’ve never really fancied Cotton On for the quality of their clothes (being cotton, it expands after a few washes), but heck, when you’re expecting, all you’re looking for is, really, comfort above everything else. Comfortable tops/ garbs that’ll help accentuate your new curves are a necessity!
This will work wonders to accentuate your curves!
Cotton On has the reputation of offering up-to-the-minute collections at affordable prices and I know of friends who swear by Cotton On.
These will be your best friends during your pregnancy
I highly recommend pregnant ladies to opt for cotton amongst all other materials as cotton conforms to your growing belly (oh darling, believe me when I say your bulge will be twice the size as it was, overnight, after 6 months). You might wish to save your lycra, bandage dresses and spandex tops till you’ve given birth and stick to safe choices like satin maxi dresses/ cotton clothes and NO JEANS.
Button-down cotton (non body-conforming top)
My pregnancy wardrobe came complete with FOX cotton racerbacks, Cotton On sleeved blouses and 2 satin maxi dresses, sufficient to keep me clothed till I gave birth. I tend to choose the safer hues so that I won’t stand out like a sore thumb, but if you’re edgy and loud, there are also racks for you to choose from.
Always choose leggings instead of jeans
So mummies, ditch the 80’s maternity dresses and slip into comfy and contemporary cotton wear and embrace your pregnancy!  

No comments:

Post a Comment