Tuesday 10 January 2012

I know, You nose!

I’ve been counting my blessings since my girl was born and I’ve never had distresses with her health (touch wood), only until she was diagnosed with chronic bronchitis almost a month ago. Pitiable girl was snorting and coughing like there was no tomorrow!
You don't want this to happen!

I must say that I’m moderately muddled (or karang kabot as some say) when it comes to decision making in picking the right healthcare provider for my girl. There’s no “right” or “wrongful” paediatricians/ hospitals to begin with, it’s all about finding the best for your baby. My girl is visiting Angelin’s Baby and Child Clinic in Woodlands (opposite Marsiling MRT) and I can’t fathom but I really like Dr. Angelin, and I think she really likes my girl too!

Anyway, Dr. Angelin remembers my girl for her snorts and heavy breathing, but that’s okay because we seem to have all that extra advices for free, from a very concerned PD. When my girl visited this PD on a 2nd account, her PD sold me 2 nasal drips to water-down my girl’s mucus.

Review: Xepa Rinz Normal Saline
Rating: 4/5
Remember not to drip your baby's eyes with this solution
This saline drips are used for the eyes too (but please don’t drip your baby’s eyes with this!). I generally prefer to drip her nose with saline as its less harmful as compared to oral tabs. Thinning baby’s mucus will help them breathe a tad bit easier – a great choice for babies with smaller nasal passages. Because I got this from her PD, I’m not certain as to where you can get them but I’m sure pharmacies would carry this brand. I don’t recommend you to get any other brands of saline that’s meant for the eyes, if you’re contemplating on dripping it into your baby’s nostrils. I suppose this brand is given to my girl because the salinity content might be lesser than average.

If you’re a mummy-to-be, I would highly embolden you to get a box of Xepa Rinz saline drip, just as a fall-back should there be a sudden need for it.

Review: Iliadin
Rating: 2.5/5
Ensure that you're getting a 0.01% iliadin for newborns
This medicated nose drip is formulated with a dosage of drug within so I stayed clear of Iliadin and administered it only when necessary. It sure is very effective as it cleared my girl’s blocked nasal passage within 10 minutes. The drawback of relying on ilidin is that you can only give this to your infant for 5 days, and break for at least 3 days before re-administering it again. Reason is simple. If you get your infant hooked on iliadin, your infants’ respiratory issues will reoccur at a more detrimental scale. They use iliadin in hospitals as its most effective and saves a whole lot of time for them to nurse your babies back to health. I personally won’t applaud this medicine as it might rebound if not used correctly. Before you purchase this, please check to see that the drug content is 0.01% (especially for infants) as they carry other ranges for older kids.

Review: Sinomarin Hypertonic Sea Water Nasal Spray
Rating: 3/5


This harmless nasal spray works the same as the saline drips, however, the only hassle is that the proboscis is way longer and wider than Xepa’s saline drips. I find it challenging to drip this solution in my girl’s tiny nostrils because of the way the contraption is made (have to press down the proboscis to release the solution).

Its always best to dedicate a space for your baby's medication as you'd never know when you might need it!

No comments:

Post a Comment