Monday 9 January 2012

Keeping Up with Your Pregnancy

The mainstream women (and husbands alike) are self-same when it comes to hearing about one’s pregnancy. Correction! Whoever said that women must get fat when they’re pregnant? It sometimes is discouraging for the vainer women to overhear such blatant baloney, perhaps only after they’ve experienced it themselves. I'm no guru, but I'd share my personal experience with you.
At 7 months
Since most people tend to stop and ask me how I lost my pre-pregnancy weight (my good friend even said I must’ve used a surrogate mother), I’ve decided to give all mummies-to-be a good brief of my pregnancy lifestyle. I didn’t have any water retention either.

I must agree that I’ve got good genes and a pretty decent diet (of course expecting young has been amazingly helpful). I’ve never really fancied the oils, butters and ghee (Hallelujah to Philips’ latest Air Fryer!) and hence, a large part of my measly weight gain during pregnancy is quite apparent.
  •         Strictly no dieting during pregnancy
  •       Say yes to brisk walking once every 2 days
  •       Drink lots of water even if you feel bloated (and no, drinking water doesn’t contribute to water retention!)
  •       Fruits and vegetables are a must (apples strengthens your baby’s respiratory track and mangoes are great for iron supplements for mummies)
  •       Salmon, salmon and more salmon (who doesn’t want smart kids? Lucky thing my mum steamed salmon fillets for me very frequently over the course of my pregnancy)
  •       Less salt (because salt is a killer when it comes to water retention)
  •       Keeping myself happy (for happier and cheekier babies)
  •       1 session of pre-natal massage at Rustic Nirvana, Suntec City (it helped ease my stressed back)
  •       Kegal exercises are a MUST! (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/kegel-exercises/WO00119)
  •      Breastfeeding does help a little but I only breastfed for a month (I don't owe my weight loss to breastfeeding!)
A typical steamed salmon meal (with orange peel for extra fragrance)



There are no rights and wrongs when it comes to adopting a new habit during your pregnancy. I suppose as long as you feel healthy and well, doing light exercises and not over-exerting yourself will definitely help with coping during your labour.

Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment